Ferdinand Magellan was the first person to sail the Pacific Ocean and around South America. He was a Portuguese explorer that sailed in a Spanish expedition. Born into a Portuguese noble family, he became a page in a court in Lisbon.
Who was Portugal’s greatest explorer?
These are some of the most famous Portuguese explorers.
- Vasco da Gama. Vasco da Gama. …
- Pedro Álvares Cabral. Pedro Álvares Cabral. …
- Ferdinand Magellan. Ferdinand Magellan. …
- Christopher Columbus. Christopher Columbus. …
- Diogo Cão. Diogo Cão. …
- Diogo Silves. Azores old map. …
- Bartolomeu Dias. Bartolomeu Dias. …
- Gaspar and Miguel Corte Real.
Where did the Portuguese explore?
Portugal, the western-most European country, was one of the primary players in the European Age of Discovery and Exploration. Under the leadership of Prince Henry the Navigator, Portugal took the principal role during most of the fifteenth century in searching for a route to Asia by sailing south around Africa.
Who was one of the first explorers to come from Portugal?
Vasco de Gama
In 1499, he was the first European to travel all the way to India by sea. His voyage officially linked the two countries, and gave Portugal easy access to build a colonial empire in Asia. The total distance traveled in de Gama’s voyage to India was greater than any previous exploration.
What did the Portuguese attempt to achieve?
The Portuguese goal of finding a sea route to Asia was finally achieved in a ground-breaking voyage commanded by Vasco da Gama, who reached Calicut in western India in 1498, becoming the first European to reach India. The second voyage to India was dispatched in 1500 under Pedro Álvares Cabral.
What are the three accomplishments of Portugal?
Select the three accomplishments of Portugal.
- Da Gama sailed around Africa to India.
- Portugal became the leader of the navigational arts in Europe.
- Magellan was sent on the first voyage around the world.
- Portugal sponsored Columbus on an earlier voyage around Africa.
What were the three main aims of the Portuguese traders?
The main goal of Portuguese empire was trade , not colonisation or conquest .