After a sting, the tentacles leave long, stringy red welts on the skin. The welts last from minutes to hours. There is local pain, burning, swelling, and redness. This rash may come and go for up to 6 weeks.
What happens if you get stung by a Portuguese man-of-war?
In fact, using an EpiPen after a jelly sting can be dangerous or even life threatening, she said. If you get stung by a man-of-war and you have trouble breathing, this could be a result of severe envenomation, and you’ll want to see a medical professional immediately.
Does peeing on a jellyfish sting actually help?
A: No. Despite what you may have heard, the idea of peeing on a jellyfish sting to ease the pain is just a myth. Not only are there no studies to support this idea, but pee may even worsen the sting. Jellyfish tentacles have stinging cells called nematocysts that contain venom.
Does vinegar work on jellyfish stings?
Vinegar is used to stop the venom in stingers. Caution: Do not use ammonia, urine, rubbing alcohol, fresh water or ice. They all can trigger the release of more venom. If you don’t have vinegar, move on to scraping off the stingers.
Do Man O’War stings leave scars?
Jellyfish or Portuguese man-of-war stings may cause blisters or small, shallow sores (ulcers). The skin at the site of the stings may look dusky or bluish purple. Healing may take many weeks. Permanent scars may occur at the site of a sting.